Monday, September 28, 2009

" An Eye for an Eye makes the world all right. " - David Alan Bates

The Story
"An Eye for an Eye" is first quoted in the Book of Exodus. It basically points at laws that deal out equal punishment to the offence caused. If you blind me, you should also blind yourself etc etc.

For example, today I had a meeting which went no where. It was with one of the egoistic fools who works for one of our largest Supermarket chains. His demands we ridiculous and on top of that his word is as law, there is no way to argue or no way to negotiate and since that was the case... I decided; "why should I be the only one to leave this meeting feeling angry when I have no choice but to abide to his demands anyway?"

So what did I do? I pissed him off on purpose by pointing some blame back to him and on top of that I called him impolite for not replying my email. He asked for it, since he said we didn't revert back to him soon enough. I emailed him 3 weeks ago, and he had the nerve to say we should have called if it was important.

"Fine," I said. "But don't you think that it's really impolite not to reply an email, irrespective of whether you agree with the contents of it or not?" I added.

His face immediately turn black. Haha... Score!

This is my story and my take.

Mahatma Gandhi on the other hand preached that "An Eye for an Eye... would make the whole world blind." And he is right, I do not dispute that. But what I DO dispute is this: what is so wrong with a blind world as long as everyone is equal? Equality is what breeds harmony, we aren't talking about the Communist form of equality here, which was obvious not really all that equal at the end of the day.

Anyway, back to point. Are we supposed to turn a blind eye (pun intended) to wrongs done to us? I am not talking about accidents, I am talking about deliberate wrongs. Should we not NUKE an opposing country if terrorize our people? Should we not put fear into their hearts so that they know how it feels like cower in darkness?

If there is no retribution or FEAR of retribution, lawlessness would run wild. If they do not experience first hand what they do onto others, do you think they would stop?

Without retribution, the bad guys will take advantage of the good guys and the world will be in chaos.

As much as Gandhi preached forgiveness (which has its time and place), I preach fairness.

We want people to be good, definitely, and inherently, everyone IS good. That is my belief.

But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't stomp on the bad eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment